Friday, April 6, 2007

Rubberband Trip and Thoughts

(Okla)


The wheels came to a halt
A click of an unfamiliar door
the thud of suitcase
and the beat of a foreign heart

sweeping across the extraneous, gorgeous landmarks
Trying to find something that matches the
sweet Sooner State smell
the red leafs collected
the watermarks made

Reminiscing
The sheer wonder and laughters of childhood
(Where I still have my Mikey teddy bear
Where I still have to scold nasty Alexander the toad
for calling him Mikey the castrated gay bear)
Where broomsticks can vanish into space
Lego toys talk, boys stink
Dolls and teddy bears have a family life
Where a smile is a smile
Where dreams can actually fly

Then the assumed horrors of zits
Encumbering swarm of bees
Designer coffee in Walker Avenue
And the unspoken heart that writes


Awoke
In a demeaning room, worn out gravitas
just for two forever weeks
or a couple of days out of a cheap, fun itinerary
In awe and comparing Rome with OK
and thinking of an old dream that came true
but never as sweet as home.


(homa)




3 comments:

Victor said...

Very nice read.....I can feel myself trying to snatch a fly out of the air and dash it against the pavement...(every once in a while I still try....not so quick any more) getting ready to travel....I wonder if there are flys to catch in Kansas? Thanks for sharing...Laurel

by algoressister

Victor said...

my fictitious author's hometown - oklahoma, kansas.

she is traveling in rome, & comparing rome to her own sweet hometown.

Victor said...

Its name is derived from the Choctaw words okla and humma, meaning "red people," and is known informally by its nickname, The Sooner State.

my most researched poem.